What is Confirmation?
ELPC offers confirmation classes for youth in grade 8 and older who are interested in learning about God, the church, and our Presbyterian tradition. Confirmation classes meet from September 2015 to May 2016 on a monthly basis.
What is Confirmation?
- A time to explore your faith in God through Jesus Christ.
- A time to deepen your relationship with God through discipleship.
- A time to explore the meaning of “church” for you and build community with one another.
- A time to deepen your involvement in the life of the church through active membership.
What will we do during Confirmation Class?
- Meet monthly to explore an element of personal and communal faith that will help you understand and respond to the vows of membership that you will be asked at your Baptism/Confirmation. Most of our meetings will occur on the Second Sunday of each month, though two meetings will take place during club 116 on Wednesday
- You will be asked to read through the Gospel of Luke over the next several months. We will give you an outline to help – and we will give you a Bible if you do not have one.
- Participate in the Confirmation Retreats in October and January.
- Participate in Worship – participation in worship is essential to the Confirmation process. Each student is required to attend a minimum of 1-2 worship services each month.
- Get to know members of ELPC who you may not have known before through class, sponsorship, and worship.
- Write a Statement of Faith in the spring.
- Meet with Session in May.
- Ask questions – about anything you are curious about, wrestling with, or excited about that have to do with your faith experience.
- Have Fun!!!!!
What are the vows of membership that I will be asked at my Confirmation?
- Do you renounce evil and reject the ways of sin that separate you from the love of God?
- Do you turn to Jesus Christ and accept him as your Lord and Savior?
- Will you be Christ’s faithful disciple, obeying his Word and showing his love?
- Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, share in its worship and ministry through your prayers and gifts, your study and service, and so fulfill your calling to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Rev. Heather Schoenewolf at ELPC at (412) 441-3800 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.