ELPC’s Board of Deacons
About the Deacons
The office of Deacon as set forth in scripture is one of sympathy, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, of exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, warm sympathies, and sound judgment are chosen for this office.
It is the duty of the deacons to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress both within and beyond the community of faith. Other duties assumed by the Deacons as delegated by the Session may include leading people in worship through prayers of intercession, reading the Scriptures, presenting the gifts of the people, and assisting with the Lord’s Supper.
Deacons at ELPC serve as active participants in planning and executing on-going and special events such as:
- Quarterly new member dinners.
- Annual “Young at Heart” luncheon for older church members.
- Thanksgiving and Christmas Giving Tree assistance ministries.
- Collection of toiletries and clothing items to support EECM shelter residents.
- Hospitalized and homebound members greeting cards, visitation, and flowers delivery.
- Ushering, greeting.
- Communion preparation.
- Designated pastoral point-person.
- Health ministry classes and information sessions.
For more information about ELPC’s Deacons, please contact The Rev. Patrice Fowler-Searcy by email or by phone, (412) 441-3800 x30.