In the News
- The Rev. Dr. Randy Bush and the Rev. Heather Schoenewolf participated in the 2017 Hosanna Preaching Prize competition on the topic of Blessed: Preaching “Israel” as Ancient Symbol and Contemporary Reality. Pastor Randy received first place for his sermon, “Unfaithful Phrases: My Country Right or Wrong.” Pastor Heather was awarded second place. Congratulations to our well-spoken pastors! http://tiny.cc/elpc-pastors-recognized
- The Pitt News student newspaper recently featured an interview with Wil Forrest, ELPC’s coordinator of outreach programs, discussing the pervading misconception that being LGBTQ+ and religious are mutually exclusive. Read the article, “Ministry makes room for intersecting identities.”
- Faith & Leadership magazine, an online publication of Leadership Education at Duke Divinity, highlighed the wonderful ministry and talents of the Rev. Patrice Fowler-Searcy, ELPC’s associate pastor for mission ministries. Read the article, “Seminary students and their professor benefit from the wisdom of a local pastor.”
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published an Op Ed article written by the Rev. Dr. Randy Bush, titled “Quantom Theology 101.” The article discussed how people of faith can grow with the advances in science. Pastor Randy and Arthur Kosowsky, a University of Pittsburgh professor of physics and astronomy, are presenting a two-week series on “Quantum Theology” at ELPC on Sundays, Sept. 18 and 25, at 9:45 am.
- The Synod of the Trinity posted an article about a recent Malawi Mission Trip, on which Pastor Randy participated with other Pittsburgh Presbytery delegations.
- The work of East Liberty Development, Inc., was recently featured in The Guardian, a Pulitzer prize-winning British newspaper and one of the largest English language newspapers in the world, reaching approximately 9 million readers daily. The article discusses the power of community-led revitalization and ELDI’s mission to make East Liberty a safer and more vibrant place to live, work, and play.
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette discussed how ELPC and St. James A.M.E. Church in Larimer recently came together to send a message of unity in response to the shootings at the Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
- The Presbyterian Church USA is changing its Book of Order to allow for gay weddings, and ELPC is leading the way in welcoming gay couples to a traditional marriage service. The Rev. Dr. Randy Bush was recently interviewed by KDKA about the change.
- ELPC’s Rev. Dr. Randy Bush, Rev. Heather Schoenewolf, and Rev. Patrice Fowler-Searcy were honored as 2014 Dignity & Respect Champions by the Greater Pittsburgh Dignity & Respect Campaign Council on January 12. The annual event highlights the previous year’s champions as well as its initiatives. Champions are selected each month from nominations submitted by the community. Read more courtesy of New Pittsburgh Courier from January 16, 2015.
View 2014 and earlier stories on the ELPC News Archives page